The installation process is the same for ligature and ligature braces until the arc fixation stage.
- The tooth enamel is etched with a special composition to improve grip with the bracket. The composition acts on the tooth for a while, and then washed off with water.
- A composite material fixing the lock is applied to the teeth.
iii. Braces are glued to the teeth either by the direct method – one bracket one after another, or indirect fixation – are transferred simultaneously to the entire dentition from the mouthpiece, which were previously installed from the impression.
- When the locks are fixed on the teeth, the orthodontist proceeds to fasten the arc. In self-alloying systems, it is enough to insert the arc into the grooves and close the covers of each bracket. In ligature braces, an elastic band or ring of wire is put on each lock.
Due to the need to put on additional elements on each lock, ligature braces are set longer.
The process of treatment on ligature braces
Orthodontic treatment does not end with the installation of braces. So that they consistently perform their function of correcting the bite, the orthodontist needs to change the arcs and activate the braces, according to the treatment plan. The activation of ligature braces takes place much more often – about once a month, since the rubber bands wear out quickly and cease to fix the arc reliably.
In this regard, the work of self-ligating braces is more “autonomous” – the orthodontist can be visited every 2 months. Due to the fact that the arc in the ligatures has to overcome the friction force to straighten, the duration of treatment is slightly increased. In order not to delay it, you need not to miss the activation, quickly visit the orthodontist when removing the bracket or falling out of the arc from the ligature.
Ligature Braces Care
As we mentioned above, ligature braces require more careful care. All additional elements in the mouth prevent the free passage of the toothbrush during brushing. Ligatures are precisely these elements that interfere with hygiene. Erasers collect leftover food and accumulate plaque. To thoroughly clean the lock, the ligature must be removed, but the patient does not have such an opportunity.
Therefore, hygiene must be maintained with accessible tools:
- Orthodontic brush with a special recess in the middle for the bracket system
- A Monoblock brush that allows you to clean the lock around, the gingival region and the enamel under the arc.
- Orthodontic brushes – small brushes for hard-to-reach places – under the arch, in tooth gaps, around distant braces.
- Irrigator is an apparatus that cleans surfaces and inaccessible places with the help of a powerful jet of water. It is safe for mucous membranes and effective against food debris.
A full-time care during treatment on braces is selected by an orthodontist or a hygienist. In the clinic, you get a detailed memo for the care of braces and at any time you can visit the hygienist. He will indicate errors in care and will tell you the correct methods of home cleansing.